Thursday, February 8, 2018

Tambul

Start here for my introductory blog about our experiences in PNG. This will guide you through all my PNG blogs.

In the Western Highland is palace called Tambul. We went there to another sing-sing. What it was about I have no idea .

However the photos make investing viewing of a unique culture from over 40 years ago.

The road to Tambul from Mt Hagen winds up out of the Waghi Valley.

We are at high altitude here.
We were the only Europeans here this day, just 3 of us. At no stage did we feel unwelcome.






Gambling was the attraction here.


The wigmen.



The caption on my slide for the above slide says in Pisin "cookin pig long pit".

Mumu pit or 'cookin pig long pit.'
At the end of the day I still remember the man carefully packing away his bilas. He proudly showed me what he was doing and allowed me to take his photograph. (Of course in 1974, I only had slide film and was sparing in the number of photos taken on any one trip.)
Packing up bilas.

1 comment:

  1. Appreciate the good work, and interesting to see my District up on your blog. Could you please tell me the village at which this singsing was hosted?

    ReplyDelete